Posted on 18th December 2015 by Jordan Holmes
Don’t let the unusually mild weather we have experienced so far this winter lull you into a false sense of security, your empty property may still be at risk of damage due to plummeting temperatures, high winds and even flooding.
The most common issues facing empty properties over winter include roof damage, burst and frozen pipes, boiler breakdown and central heating failure. All of which can be easily avoided by following a few simple tips. Last year alone over 3 million home owners were victim to property damage due to adverse weather conditions.
To avoid burst/frozen pipes, boiler breakdown and central heating failure follow these simple steps:
• Make sure loft insulation is adequate, it should be around 10” deep.
• If temperature are set to hit freezing ensure central heating is set to a minimum of 15°C.
• To allow warm air to circulate and reach pipes vulnerable to freezing, keep doors to kitchen and bathroom cabinets open.
• Exposed pipes are most likely to freeze so insulate pipes in attics and crawl spaces and lag your cold water tank.
• Turn off water supply to any outside sources and turn off mains water at stopcock unless you have a combi boiler that needs constant mains pressure.
• To allow warm airflow to the cold tank leave the loft hatch door open.
• Keep room doors slightly open to allow warm air to circulate around the house.
• If the unfortunate does happen and your pipes freeze turn the water off and drain the system ensuring you leave taps open.
• Ensuring your boiler is well maintained throughout the year will stand it in good stead for the winter. This can be done by making sure it is serviced annually and investing in boiler care cover and products.
Here are some tips to avoid damage to other areas of your property:
• If severe winds are expected secure any objects to the external to the property. This includes garden furniture, hanging baskets, building supplies, ladders, wheelie bins etc.
• Ensure your roof is in a decent state of repair.
• Frequently visit the property and carry out an inspection. The quicker you identify a problem the better.
Have you considered selling your empty property? Auction provides a quick way of selling your property with minimal hassle. Benefits of auction include:
• Increased interest.
• Fair market value.
• Fixed sell and move dates.
• A choice of sale and payment methods including a choice to pay 0% commission.
• The security of a non-refundable reservation fee or deposit.
This means you can rid yourself of the stress of having an empty property to look after and the associated costs.
Auction success for Goldfinch Estate Agents We’ve worked with Goldfinch Estate Agents for over 5 years now, powering their auction service. Antonia Askew, Sales & Lettings Manager at Goldfinch, talks about being an iamsold Auction Hero. Tell us about the effect auction has had at Goldfinch Introducing auction has been nothing but positive – it’s […]Read more
With exceptional customer service central to our ethos, our Sales Progressors are vital to keeping our day to day running smoothly. The iamsold Sales Progression team supports customers and solicitors in progressing transactions through to completion, within our 56-day transaction period. Customer Service Manager, Stevie Scott, explains ‘our Sales Progression team is highly effective and […]Read more
Insights from Emma Burdis, Head of Compliance at iamproperty Legislation changes in 2019 placed a huge emphasis on tightening anti-money laundering regulations, as well as transparency of referral arrangements and payments. As industry leaders, iamsold has ensured that our contracts, systems and marketing materials are fully compliant. We’ve also been committed to providing guidance on […]Read more
Founded just over ten years ago, iamsold is set for an excellent start to a new decade. Founders and Managing Directors, Ben Ridgway and Jamie Cooke, discuss the roaring success of 2019 and their ambitious goals for the year ahead. Ben: ‘Reflecting on the last 12 months, we have a lot be proud of. We’ve […]Read more
iamsold Ltd is rated 4.68 stars by Reviews.co.uk based on 734 merchant reviews